Riviera Travel - Solo Traveller Forum

Currency for Marrakech

Ask the Riviera Travel team questions about the holidays, your booking or solo travel in general

Moderators: Riviera Travel, Erik RivieraTravel

Alison S

10 Aug 2019, 19:00  

Hello. Can you please advise the best thing to do regarding taking currency/cash to Marrakech?

Do we take sterling / euros / visa?

Many thanks

Erik RivieraTravel

12 Aug 2019, 08:09  

Dear Alison,

Since the Moroccan dirham is a closed currency you can't buy any here. That said changing money there is quite easy and our tour manager will be able to recommend places to do that. Sterling is widely accepted so best to take that and perhaps a credit/debit card as well for emergencies, or should you find a particularly nice carpet you might want to purchase!

Regards,

Erik.

Alison S

12 Aug 2019, 19:26  

Thank you.

Marigold

29 Aug 2019, 19:16  

Alison, I went on the Marrakech trip in April. It is very easy to get local currency once you are there. I changed some GBP at the airport while waiting for the bags to come out as there was nobody waiting, leave it too long and there will be a queue . Otherwise, when you get to the hotel there is a cash point in the street at the side to the right of the hotel or cross the road, it is a busy intersection, to the train station and there are two cash points there at the front outside. Carry on a bit further to the crossing, cross the road, go past a cafe and there is a Bureau de Change on the right. Next to that is a small shop for water, juice, biscuits and local ciggies. It is difficult to visualize from looking at the map, but once you are there and have explored a bit, all will become clear. You will have a great time, its a lovely city and a good trip.

Olivier_Vandebroucke

30 Aug 2019, 06:10  

Thanks for the explanation, Marigold! I'd advise against changing currencies at the airport since the exchange rate is nothing short of highway theft, but at least, you can get enough dirhams there to pay for the things you'll need there for the first 12 hours. After that, it's better to get dirhams; local sellers do accept the sterling pound, as well as euros and dollars, but will significantly increase the price of everything.

Marigold

04 Sep 2019, 04:18  

Oliver, yes you are correct that the Marrakesh airport exchange is higher than in the town but as I had checked exchange rates before leaving, didn't feel it was that much more and wanted to have some local currency. Think I changed about £30.00. Glad that I did as when we arrived at the hotel the rooms wern't quite ready, so some of us went to the cafe by the pool to have a cold drink and I was able to pay for everyone. It wasn't much and they all paid me back later when they had settled into their rooms and went out to find where to exchange money near the hotel. I did look at the rate at Gatwick and that was far too high.

•   Information