Riviera Travel - Solo Traveller Forum

South Africa 2019

Discuss Riviera's solo holidays, talk about travel in general, share tips and read reviews.

Moderators: Riviera Travel, Erik RivieraTravel

Hmca

28 Jan 2019, 12:00  

Considering booking this for September. Only reservation I have is whether I will feel as though I’m spending a lot of my holiday on a bus as it covers such a wide area. Any thoughts?

Erik RivieraTravel

28 Jan 2019, 13:37  

Dear Hmca,

I do understand your reservation with regards to the length of time spent on the coach during this tour. I will not lie that there are some days, notably at the beginning of the tour with the drives to Kruger, the battlefields and back to Johannesburg, where you will spend a good amount of time on the coach. This is an unavoidable consequence of the size of the country (5 times the size of the UK) and the desire to see the major highlights that South Africa has to offer. It would be a shame to travel all that way and not visit Kruger National Park or the evocative Zulu battlefields. We do, however, try and minimise the impact by spacing out longer driving days, having regular stops along the way, and by using comfortable, air-conditioned coaches. In the second half of the tour the driving distances are also much shorter.

I do hope that this answers your questions sufficiently. If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to post them here or call our reservations team.

Kind regards,

Erik.

roginglos

29 Jan 2019, 11:33  

Hi
I did this trip in August 2018, it was a really great holiday there are a few very early starts but they are worth it to cram so much variety into the trip. August /september is the end of the dry season so in Kruger there is less vegetation to hide the animals and they are concentrated around water holes we were fortunate enough to see all the big 5 plus one of the two wild dog packs in Kruger. In Cape town don't be afraid to explore the bars around Long street rather than those in the Victoria & Albert waterfront which is a characterless modern shopping mall. And at Hippo hollow you can sip your glass of wine watching the Hippo on the river bank a few yards away after dark most evenings. You will fall in love with Africa.

Jean77

06 Feb 2019, 16:38  

I agree with Roginglos. I did this tour last year and absolutely loved it. Yes some days we spent a lot of time on the coach but there were regular stops along the way. And the Guide provides you with so much interesting information whilst you're travelling and looking out at the beautiful scenery. We saw and did so much. An amazing holiday I will never forget.

Richard

28 Mar 2019, 10:39  

Hi
new to Riviera travel but travelled to 70+ countries usually on my own/tour group. Going in September - any tips?

Erik RivieraTravel

28 Mar 2019, 11:13  

Hi Richard,

First of all welcome to Riviera! September is a cooler time of the year in South Africa, so do remember to take some warmer clothes with you. But it is also the best time to see animals in Kruger, as there is less vegetation obscuring the view.

Otherwise I'm sure there are plenty of people who have been on this tour already who might be able to give you more hints and tips (unfortunately I've not been to South Africa ... yet).

Will

21 Jul 2019, 14:23  

Think of going in November 2019, is this a good time to travel to SA? And any else going in November?

Erik RivieraTravel

22 Jul 2019, 08:23  

Hi Will,

November is a very good time to travel to South Africa as it is the equivalent of late spring for us. Therefore average daily highs are in the mid 20's for Johannesburg, Cape Town and Kruger national park, which makes it pleasant without being too hot. Otherwise we only have 4 spaces (out of 25) left on this departure date.

Regards,

Erik.

Gail stonehouse

19 Sep 2019, 08:16  

Hi I am travelling November just wondering if this trip is now full and definitely going ahead?

Erik RivieraTravel

21 Sep 2019, 12:51  

Hi Gail,

Yes, that is correct, the tour is now full (there will be 25 of you altogether) and definitely going ahead. You should receive your travel documents a week or two before departure.

Erik.

•   Information