Riviera Travel - Solo Traveller Forum

Lake Garda, Venice & Verona

Discuss Riviera's solo holidays, talk about travel in general, share tips and read reviews.

Moderators: Riviera Travel, Erik RivieraTravel

Anna2825

10 Apr 2018, 10:46  

Hi! Im booked on this trip for 12th September 2018 and flying out from London. Its my first via Riviera Holidays and in fact my first proper Solo trip. Anyone else going? :)

JaneC

02 Jun 2018, 17:58  

Ciao, Anna! I'm booked for Lake Garda, flying from Manchester on 15th June. it will be my first Riviera holiday also. I'm currently taking Beginners Italian, but haven't got much beyond "Come si chiami?" and "Di dove sei?" So you will be able to have much more interesting conversations. On my return, I will post some feedback and any useful tips for you. Buonasera, Jane

JaneC

02 Jun 2018, 18:07  

Anna, I am using this forum for the first time and have just replied to your post about your Sept. trip. But I may have pressed the wrong Send button! I won't repeat my message just yet, but will write again if I don't see my reply posted. JaneC

helsy27

13 Jun 2018, 14:45  

I've booked this to go in October, it's my first solo trip. Feeling a little nervous but looking forward to the break. Hope you both enjoy yourselves.

JaneC

13 Jun 2018, 21:10  

Thanks, Helsy27. I will post some feedback once I return from the holiday. Regards, Jane

Debbie123

22 Aug 2018, 15:39  

Hi
Im booked to go on the lake Garda Venice and verona trip flying out from Gatwick 20th September...my first trip...anyone going?
Debbie

JaneC

22 Aug 2018, 16:35  

Hi Debbie and other Garda-bound travellers.
Overall, it was an excellent trip, and we had a really good guide (Wendy? my memory for names is rubbish). The main criticism that most of us shared was that the apartment blocks at Poiano Resort entailed climbing a lot of steps. Given that most of us were of "a certain age", these steps were a pain. Also, it did seem unnecessary for each one of us to occupy a whole apartment to ourselves. Mine was a 2-bedroom and was bigger than my own flat at home! If only we could have been accommodated in hotels right in Garda by the lakeside. But overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the holiday, and I hope you do. Best wishes, Jane

mikew

23 Aug 2018, 16:34  

Hi Debbie,
I agree with Jane’s comments about the tour. I left a review shortly after I returned from this holiday in June in the Reviews section of this forum, but for some reason I can’t find it there now.
Hopefully I left constructive feedback regarding the hotel, but the location, almost 10 minutes out of town by courtesy bus, was one of its minus points.
As Jane says, a centrally located hotel would have been much better, especially when you consider that the ‘standard’ version of this tour allows couples to choose from a selection of centrally located hotels by the lakeside (mostly in Riva del Garda at the north end of the lake, not Garda town). I can also confirm that the Poiano apartments are set on a hillside, and although I had no problems, access to some blocks would prove difficult for someone with mobility issues.
Overall though, this is a beautiful area and I did enjoy the holiday - the excursions to the various lakeside villages, to Venice, Verona and the Dolomites were both varied and interesting and you have some free time to explore independently as well. Bardolino is just a few minutes away by local bus, but you can venture further afield if you wish. I do hope you enjoy it.
Best Wishes
Mike

jenny

26 Aug 2018, 10:07  

I too am booked for the Lake Garda Solo holiday on 12th September. This is my second solo trip but I am still apprehensive even though my last holiday was very enjoyable. I look forward to meeting my travel companions.

Debbie123

26 Aug 2018, 12:53  

Hi
Thanks for all your comments.For me the mobility issue wont be a problem as im quite fot and able but shame not to be nearer Garda town.I'm sure it will be a lovely holiday though

•   Information