Riviera Travel - Solo Traveller Forum

Solo cruise Burgundy, River Rhone and Provence 2/4/20

Ask the Riviera Travel team questions about the holidays, your booking or solo travel in general

Moderators: Riviera Travel, Erik RivieraTravel

Sherlock45

18 Feb 2020, 21:40  

This will be my first with Riviera and also my first solo trip . I am understandably a little apprehensive. Although I get around quite well I sometimes have to use a walking stick , so I was wondering what is the walking pace of the tours you do ? Would like to think I’ll be able to keep up .

Erik RivieraTravel

19 Feb 2020, 09:26  

Dear Sherlock45,

First of all welcome to Riviera!

I can definitely understand your apprehension - the first time doing anything is always something of a leap of faith, but hopefully we can reassure you and provide the information you require. By your own description if you only need to use a walking stick occasionally then I think you should be fine on the cruise. The walking tours are at a gentle pace and we tend not to lose people on them! Otherwise the points to bear in mind with mobility are:
- the ship may sometimes be double-moored, so you may have to negotiate a gangplank from one ship to another to dis/embark.
- a number of the towns we visit (notably Arles and Avignon) have medieval cores, which therefore means cobbles and a few steps. But rest assured, we take everything nice and gentle.
- a couple of the visits (the Pope's Palace in Avignon, and the wine cellar visit in Beaune) will require the negotiation of a few steps, but can be skipped if you don't feel up to it.

I hope that puts your mind at ease, though if you have any further questions please do not hesitate either to post here, or call our friendly reservations team who will be more than happy to answer any queries you may have.

Erik.

•   Information