Riviera Travel - Solo Traveller Forum

Considering Tenerife & La Gomera

Discuss Riviera's solo holidays, talk about travel in general, share tips and read reviews.

Moderators: Riviera Travel, Erik RivieraTravel

Barb'd

19 Oct 2019, 16:02  

Went on my first solo with Riviera to Croatia in June. It was lovely :D . Now thinking of the Canaries in Feb or Mar next year. Never been there before. Anyone got any hints, tips, advice? Thanks! Barbara

Erik RivieraTravel

21 Oct 2019, 08:19  

Dear Barbara,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your trip with us to Croatia and that it has given you confidence to book with us again.

With regards to our tour to the Canaries I can confidently say that none of our clients has experience of the tour as it is new for next year, however as I was involved in the design and planning of the tour I can give you some information and answer any further questions you may have.

First of all this is a tour that eschews that bucket and spade image of the Canaries and tries to dig a little deeper and show you the rich cultural and natural treasures of Tenerife and its sister island La Gomera. First of all our hotel is located in the historic capital of La Laguna, away from the beaches but right in the heart of its UNESCO-listed old town. The hotel building itself dates to the 18th century and houses one of the islands' few Michelin-starred restaurants (sorry, but we don't include a dinner there - our budget unfortunately doesn't stretch that far!). Our tours take you to the quaint colonial towns of the north coast that made their money from banana plantations (ever wondered how Canary Wharf got its name?) as well as the vibrant modern capital of Santa Cruz, home to one of the world's largest carnival parades.

For the natural wonders we first of all take you on a cable car ride to the top of Teide, Spain's tallest mountain, and the volcano that dominates Tenerife. The lunar landscape of its caldera is breathtaking, and not just because of its altitude. And then we change perspectives completely when we take a day trip to La Gomera and visit its primeval laurisilva cloud forests (also UNESCO-listed) where the heather grows up to 20m high!

Anyway, I hope that gives you something of an overview.

Erik.

Salphil24

26 Oct 2019, 14:41  

Hi Barbara
I’m also thinking of booking this for February 2020. I’ve been to the Canary Islands many times, but only once to Tenerife, just a beach holiday so I didn’t really see much of the island. The weather that time of year is usually pretty good, sometimes the odd rain shower, but can get a bit chilly in the evenings - should be fine for sightseeing. Maybe we will meet up!
Best wishes, Shirley

Teall1966

25 Dec 2019, 15:29  

Thank you for the details

Poynton Traveller

28 Dec 2019, 16:09  

I have booked & just paid for my holiday to Tenerife in February . I am flying from Manchester & as I have never visited Tenerife or any of the Canary Islands I am very much looking forward to it

Poynton Traveller

28 Dec 2019, 16:09  

I have booked & just paid for my holiday to Tenerife in February . I am flying from Manchester & as I have never visited Tenerife or any of the Canary Islands I am very much looking forward to it

•   Information