Riviera Travel - Solo Traveller Forum

India in 2020

Discuss Riviera's solo holidays, talk about travel in general, share tips and read reviews.

Moderators: Riviera Travel, Erik RivieraTravel

Lovetravel

28 Jul 2019, 14:43  

I am about to book my first solos holiday with Riviera, although I have been on a previous trip and a river cruise. Is anyone else considering the tour to India? I'm not sure whether to book March or April - will there be a big difference in the temperature? Any help/information would be much appreciated and I'm anxious not to commit until I have all my facts straight. Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Erik RivieraTravel

28 Jul 2019, 16:50  

Dear Lovetravel,

April is warmer than March, which means average high temperatures in Delhi and the lowlands exceed 30 degrees. However up in Shimla April is considered more pleasant than March, with the average daily high at 19 degrees instead of 14. I suppose it depends what you prefer: if you like it warmer then go for April, if you find the heat more difficult to cope with then go for March. However both months are during the dry pre-monsoon period, so you don't need to worry about the rain!

I hope that helps,

Erik.

Lovetravel

28 Jul 2019, 16:57  

Thank you Erik. So April it is and I'll be staying at the wonderful-sounding Oberoi Cecil Hotel for my birthday! Very excited!

Lynne

15 Aug 2019, 08:04  

Third travel with riviera South Africa Portugal and now India in October visa sorted but what do I do about the money sterling, card or both.
Where can I get the rand?

Erik RivieraTravel

15 Aug 2019, 08:19  

Dear Lynne,

I assume you're talking about Indian rupees rather than rand? If so then the rupee is a closed currency and you cannot buy outside of India. Therefore we suggest you take sterling cash as well as a credit/debit card (or two, and keep in different locations in case one is lost). With the cards it is a good idea to inform your card provider that you will be travelling abroad so that they don't block it by accident.

Erik.

SandraPayne

08 Feb 2020, 17:05  

Dear LoveTravel

I’m also booked on the April departure. Really looking forward to it , my first time travelling alone. Be nice to meet you. I am going to try to book into airport lounge as it’s Bank Holiday Monday when we travel it may be a bit calmer for the wait before being called to board. Are you or anyone else who are also travelling on that date and reading this thinking of doing similar?

Regards
Sandra

Zakynthos

12 Feb 2020, 15:35  

Lynne, I did the trip in October/November 19 and thoroughly enjoyed it. You can exchange currency as soon as you land in India as there is a small exchange facility in Arrivals Hall. Most of us got some cash whilst waiting for luggage to arrive. Not sure where you are staying in Delhi on your first night but if it is the Hyatt Regency there is an ATM in the hotel lobby. There were also plenty of opportunities throughout the tour to change money.

Regards,
David Reid.

Lovetravel

13 Feb 2020, 11:46  

Hi Sandra
Airport lounge sounds worth investigating - I hadn't thought of it. I shall be traveling to Heathrow from home on the Underground. Do you live in the London area? I've just paid the balance and am now very excited but nervous! Looking forward to meeting you.
Ruth

Erik RivieraTravel

14 Feb 2020, 09:28  

Dear Ruth and Sandra,

I think it's a good idea to meet up at a lounge before departure as it gives you a relaxed, quiet location to meet and get to know each other. If you're interested in booking a lounge you can use the Riviera extras webpage (link below) to do it. I would recommend booking sooner, rather than later, as lounges can become unavailable for certain time slots (the lounge companies limit the number of entries to maintain their cachet).

Also (and this is more important) be aware that there are two lounges available at Heathrow terminal 3 (No 1 Lounge and Club Aspire), so that if you want to meet up ensure that you book the same lounge!

Erik.

https://www.holidayextras.co.uk/riviera ... unges.html

Lovetravel

14 Feb 2020, 18:30  

Thanks Eric.

•   Information