Riviera Travel - Solo Traveller Forum

India + Shimla April 2018

Discuss Riviera's solo holidays, talk about travel in general, share tips and read reviews.

Moderators: Riviera Travel, Erik RivieraTravel

helenc

11 Feb 2018, 20:18  

Hi Sharon
The e-visa is obtained from the Indian Government website https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html
There are agencies which will get you the visa but you will end up paying much more if you go with them. As long as you read the instructions and work through all the questions carefully you shouldn't have a problem doing it yourself. You need a square photo and info page of your passport which have to be a certain size. There is also advice on the booking confirmation from Riviera which you will need.
I didn't have a problem getting mine.

Good luck
Helen

Andy173

12 Feb 2018, 09:23  

Hi Sharon

The official Indian Govt. visa site is: : indianvisaonline.gov.in.
There is also a Visa help page on the Riviera website page for our holiday with more info.

Andrew

MartinA

13 Feb 2018, 10:19  

Hi Sharon
If you have a file with your holiday details use the site recommended on there.thats the Indian government one.
All the others are visa agencies.
They will charge you a lot more for the same thing.
Paid mine through PayPal came to £58 and change.

Www.indianvisaonline.gov.in

Good luck
Martin

Sharono100

13 Feb 2018, 19:27  

Thank you everyone, all done, easier than I thought it would be.

Really looking forward to April and meeting you all.

Thank you
Sharon

Andy173

19 Feb 2018, 10:51  

Hi Everyone.

My Visa (ETA) arrived after only two days so that's all sorted.
Next, I was looking at currency.
As tourists you cannot take any Rupee's into India. You have to either change notes in country or rely on an ATM (if you can find one).
Also, you cannot take any unused Rupee's out of the country at the end of holiday. You can change them at airport but only if you have kept official receipts.
Many shops and restaurants will "unofficially" change UK sterling notes for you but you wont get a receipt.
Advice I have had from people who have been before is, exchange little and often.

Just wondered if Riviera have any advice for us?

Andy

Riviera Travel

20 Feb 2018, 08:36  

Hi Andy, we do include a brief note on our latest currency advice with your final documents. Also, your tour manager is on hand to help you find ATMs and exchange desks throughout the trip of course.

Andy173

05 Mar 2018, 15:19  

Just read very interesting travel book about the history of Delhi, which I found fascinating.
"City of Djinns", by William Dalrymple, Publisher Harper Perennial.

(Book follows the writer who spent a year in Delhi researching its fabulous history thro the ages)

Julietlima

11 Mar 2018, 19:12  

Hi, I have booked this trip, but I'm having trouble with the visa. I can't seem to add my passport to the document. Any advice ?

Julietlima

11 Mar 2018, 19:12  

Hi, I have booked this trip, but I'm having trouble with the visa. I can't seem to add my passport to the document. Any advice ?

Andy173

12 Mar 2018, 18:19  

Hi Juliet

I had same problem.
If you are using a PC I found an online site where you can reduce pdf. files.
https://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf.
You simply drag your too big file onto the site and it reduces for you in a new pdf file.

If you are using an IPAD you can download an app that does the same thing.

Andrew

•   Information